Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Blueberry Muffins made with Yogurt

I love, love, love blueberry muffins - but almost every recipe I see calls for a stick of butter or a cup of oil.  Now that I am over 40 and have to make an effort not to gain weight, I just can't bring myself to make those old recipes any more.

I did find this recipe that uses yogurt in place of almost all the fat.  It makes the texture a lot like pound cake AND it provides a couple grams of protein, which is always a plus in our house since we don't eat meat all that often.

I pretty much always double this recipe.  When I double it I end up with 18 regular (not super sized) muffins and 12 mini muffins for the kiddos.

For a single batch (12 muffins) you need:

2c Flour  
1/3 c Sugar
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda  
1/4 tsp Salt  
1/4 c Orange juice  
1 tbs Vegetable oil  
1 tsp Vanilla extract  
1 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt
1 Egg
1 c Fresh blueberries (or frozen ones that are defrosted - that's what I always use)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


  • Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
  • Combine all the wet ingredients (NOT THE BLUEBERRIES) in a separate bowl
  • Make a well in dry ingredients, add wet and combine just until moistened (it will be a thick batter)
  • Gently fold in blueberries.
  • Pour into sprayed muffin tins.  Top with a little raw sugar if you want.
  • Bake for 18 minutes (for big ones) or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  • Remove for pan immediately and cool on wire rack.


  • Per Muffins Info:
    Calories: 139
    Fat: 1.8g
    Protein: 3.5g
    Carbs: 27.2g

    No comments: